How do you know which are the best longboards for cruising? You use a cruising longboard to travel around such as get to class or work. Therefore, the longboard you purchase for cruising must be built for this type of riding.
You cannot just pick any as each longboard comes with certain specifications which make it suitable for specific uses. There are a number of factors to check out when choosing a longboard suited for cruising. Considering the following factors will help you choose one of the best longboards for cruising.
- Longboard sizes vary from small to large. Length of a board affects how easily you will be able to turn the board. The boards most suitable for cruising are small to medium.
Small boards are good for beginners, and especially if you expect to be cruising through a lot of foot traffic. They are very easy to turn.
Medium size boards are also good for cruising, especially after you have gained some experience. The majority of boards of medium length are very durable and will last for years. If you want to go beyond cruising and at times try something else like riding downhill, the medium sized boards come in handy.
- This refers to the flexibility or stiffness of a board. Some boards are very stiff, and thus have a low flex, while others are very flexible. The board that is ideal for cruising has a high flex.
A board with a high flex has excellent shock absorption capability. It absorbs vibration from bumps and rough terrain, providing a smooth ride. When the ride is smooth, tension to the knees and ankles is relieved.
Though most people do not consider the flex of a board before they purchase, it is necessary to do so. It is also important to note that flex is at times matter of personal opinion.
Stiff boards are stable at speeds and suitable for experienced riders. You would want to avoid this if you are an amateur and beginning to learn to cruise.
- This may or may not be present on your longboard. If you intend to do tricks, quick turns, pop on curbs up and down, then you should get a longboard with a kicktail. It is a good addition to your longboard but not a must have.
If you put into consideration the above three points, chances are you will get one of the best longboards for cruising. To ensure you get just what is ideal for you, you can make the longboard yourself. But if you are not inclined to do so, all is not lost.
You can purchase one. You will be spoilt for choice if you go out there to look for one. We endeavor to take the guesswork out of getting a longboard for cruising. You can be sure you are getting a good quality longboard.
Here below is a review of the 5 best longboards for cruising.
- Quest Cruiser Maple Longboard Skateboard
This board is surfy, super smooth and feels like riding on water. It has more ground clearance and top mount trucks, which gives it a very precise turning response. It rides stable because it has a lower centre of gravity. Most riders of this board consider it an excellent beginner’s board. It is certainly amongst the best longboards for cruising.
- It has a wooden bamboo deck with amazing finish. The finish makes it very pleasing to look at.
- ABEC 7 bearings with shields. The shields cannot be removed.
- It has a very slight camber, the centre of the board curves up very slightly relative to nose and tail. This camber allows the board to hold more weight without sagging in the middle and also allows more room for flex on carves.
- It has a high quality grip tape that covers the entire top and that functions excellently even when wet.
- It comes with wheels that are midrange in hardness, just ideal for this kind of board.
- Comes with 8 speed rings and 4 spacers preinstalled.
- You can adjust this board to suit your style.
- Provides a very smooth ride.
- It is sturdy and durable.
This board has well over 66% of over 1,333 reviewers online totally loving it and giving it a 5-stars rating. For its price, it’s a must have. It is quite inexpensive which makes it an excellent practice board for beginners. Get one for yourself.
2. Atom Pin-Tail Longboard (39-Inch)
This atom pintail comes at an amazing price and excellent quality. It is true to the atom brand in terms of quality. It is a great entry level longboard that does not disappoint. It has a classic pin-tail shape for the deck and a cross section that is concave, all which make riding it a delight.
- It has a full maple laminate deck.
- Longboard trucks that are traditional, Aluminum, 8.5”. (217 mm axle)
- High quality grip tape, 80S that fully covers the top.
- Super high rebound, (SHR) 65X35mm wheels, 78A hardness.
- The longboard comes with ABEC 5 bearings.
- Its classic deck shape helps to avoid wheel bite.
- The deck is aesthetically pleasing.
- 39 x 9.4 x 6 (LxWxH), measurements.
- It makes great turns.
This atom pintail gets an average of 4.4 out 5 rating online. Being affordable as well, it is perhaps one of the best longboards for cruising. If you are looking for a great commuter board, get this Atom.
3. Yocaher Punked Stained Pintail Complete Longboard Skateboard
This punked stained pintail from Yocaher makes an excellent campus cruiser. It is a good beginner’s board. It has a shape that helps prevent wheel bite, but still has ample foot space. It is excellent for a beginner, one of the best longboards for cruising.
- Trucks are heavy duty, HD7.
- Wheels are Q-Ball, 78A hardness. 70x52mm. The wheels come with spacers that hold the bearings in place.
- 180mm hangar, aluminum alloy.
- Chrome bearings, Abec 7.
- Premium grade, black widow grip tape, 80A
- It has a 27 inch wheelbase.
- It is constructed with 9-ply maple and does not have a concave shape.
- It has a medium flexibility.
- It comes fully assembled and ready to ride.
- It has a speed ring per wheel which acts as a buffer between the larger axle and the bearing.
If you are looking for an excellent cruiser, this is it. It gets an average of 4.1 out of 5 stars rating from online reviewers. Get this longboard and join the growing list of happy clients.
4.Sector 9 Fractal Complete Skateboard, 9.0 x 36.0-Inch
This board is amazing for a starter board. It’s great for cruising and rides very stable. It has great graphics which is a plus for a board at its price. Sector 9 is also a much loved board, and one of the best longboards for cruising.
- Its wheels are gullwing sidewinder II, 69mm, 78A top shelf sector 9 wheels.
- It has PDP Abec 5 bearings.
- Its fractal length is optimized for those who prefer a longer wheelbase but also prefer doing light turns.
- The deck is 8 ply Maple with CNC drop through mounting.
- Though the board does feel like a longboard, it has carves and lines tighter than one would expect.
- It rides smooth and glides very far with little effort.
Online reviewers are all the rave about this longboard with over 71% giving it a 5 stars rating. Join the happy riders and get this excellent sector 9 longboard.
5.SCSK8 Natural Blank & Stained Assembled Complete Longboard Skateboard
This much loved board is designed by skaters for skaters. It is made in Southern California, and comes ready to ride. It is so well constructed that not only amateurs, but professionals as well can ride it.
- The deck of this cool longboard is made of hard rock maple.
- It has 70mm PU, high bounce/ spot resistance wheels.
- It has 7 inches Aluminum trucks
- It has SCSK8 Abec 9 Red bearings.
- It as well has SCSK8 black tape, pro.
This longboard is much loved by online reviewers. 73% give this longboard a 5 stars review, making this one of the best longboards for cruising. Most of its parts work great first time and for long and require no replacing. Get yourself one of this, and get value for your money.
If you are still looking for the best longboards for cruising, we believe our review above will give you give you a clue where to look. Go through the longboards reviewed and get one suitable for you.
With a right longboard, riding can be fun and safe. Cruiser longboards are great beginner boards. By getting a longboard that is suitable for its purpose, you will be on the way to mastering how to ride.